Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Weekly Update: Happy New Year!

Hi Fosters and Volunteers!

I hope you had a safe and happy holiday!

As 2013 wrapped up and 2014 starts, we’re doing the usual stuff- reflecting, planning, launching, brainstorming, you get the picture! We really had a fabulous year of saving animals: a record 106 kittens were adopted out of our site at Woodlands in Marin. This was part of over 220 dogs and 450 cats adopted to forever families in 2013- great work, everyone! Approximately fifty families took homeless dogs into their homes and sixty families fostered cats/kittens! About 200 people volunteered (some of you volunteered AND fostered) and our humane education program reached about 85 kids. I don’t know about you, but I’m SUPER proud of this!

At this point in the year, I’d like to check in with you on your status, especially about fostering: are you still interested in fostering? Interested in fostering for the first time? Even if you think we know you, please go ahead and send me a short email just reminding us, and include things like how often you like to foster, what you like to foster, etc! Don’t be shy- these details help. We’re especially looking for fosters who might be willing to take large breed adult dogs, puppies, dogs who can only handle adult only or single animal foster families, fosters who will take whatever, fosters with some training experience, fosters who are willing to take on longer fosters (cats and dogs!) and, well- if that doesn’t cover it, I don’t know what does! So when you send me that email, if you have any of these special skills or situations, also include that- the information really helps us in our ability to rescue! (And don’t be offended if I don’t write back right away- I’m out of town until Tuesday, but I will get back to you!!)
I don’t have a ton of volunteer updates to share right now but there are a few here on the blog, and as always, if there are specific things you’re interested in, contact me- we’ve got plenty of things going (and coming up!).

Another cool thing to think about for the New Year is checking in to see if your employer offers “volunteer grants.” As part of many corporate responsibility programs, companies will match volunteer hours with financial donations. This is a great reason to track your hours! (Fosters- we’ll calculate your hours for you.) Volunteers, you can track your hours here, and if you need a new log in, just let me know. Also, if you didn’t track your hours last year, don’t worry, I’ve been doing it for you (mostly). Thanks to Clarissa and Carla, we’ve generated a list of a lot of companies that do this- check to see if yours is on there! If it’s not, you might still ask your office to see if they participate in a program like this.

Thanks guys, and I’ll be back next week with more and better